Monday, March 8, 2010

Hurry up and wait

It always starts with my right leg.

Sub-consciously my leg starts bouncing, my foot tapping in place, speeding up to match the racing of my mind. My breathing, almost always shallow, adds to the pace. Everyday I compete in this marathon, and every night, I collapse into a restless state - slowed only by the weight of sleep.

The thing is, I have no idea what I am racing towards. Even on days that have no formal demands on my time, I am still in a rush to go, to do, and to be. Rushing to go downstairs and make a healthy meal. Rushing to do a load of laundry. Rushing to be the best mom to my kids.

An invisible stop-watch ticks, its nano-second markers heard only by me. But it sets the beat of my heart. Tick tick tick tick. My life is crudely compartmentalized into 60 minute segments.

I know this isn't the way to peace. And I also know that children have a wonderful immunity to time constraints. They are not concerned about appointments, appearances or apologies.

Children do not bend to the elderly great grandfather clock - rather they turn away from his old, worn out face. And I know my saucy two-year old daughter would even stick her tongue out at old father time.

So why can't I?

Why do I insist on worshiping time? Why do I correlate my success/accomplishments with how much I can get done in one day? What is the hurry?

Is it really a race? And if it is, is the prize worth all the hurry and stress?

From an early age, I have been taught to multi-task. Get more done in less time. Our entire society exploits this mantra. Fast food, fast cars, fast-tracking.

I'm tired of running. I need to slow down.

As I watch my babies sleep, I am mesmerized by their slow, rhythmic breaths. Like my children,
I will take some long, deep breaths: inhaling the moment, exhaling the expectations.

Surely, I can make time for that.

holy experience

2 comments:

  1. love this! this is me too. i realized this a few years back when i'd literally run from my office to the secretary's office when no one was looking. one day i caught myself and had to laugh. however sometimes this skill us very useful, like when you need to clean the house in a flash! kids sure have a way of teaching one to slow down. it's a beautiful lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherrie-Dawn,
    It's nice to meet you here...coming over from Holy Experience. And boy can I relate to this post. I am a go, go, goer -- an olympic-style multitasker. It's a real struggle, so I can hear what you are dealing with here!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

the small print

My Tall Tales blog represents my own opinions and writings, unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you would like to reproduce/distribute any postings by emailing me at sdma(at)telus(dot)net. Linking to my blog is welcome :) ~Sherri-Dawn