Sunday, January 24, 2010

My walk with Jesus

I just came back from the most extraordinary walk with Jesus. Really.

It all began with my emotions. I was feeling hurt, let down, judged, left out and angry towards those closest to me. In an effort to put things into perspective, I got out my bible study and came across these words: "Those who refuse to see are hopelessly blinded to God's awesome power and apparent activity. What enemy are you battling today? First, invite God to come between you and your enemy. Second invite Him to open "the eyes of your heart" so that you will recognize Him at work (Eph. 1:18). Third, count on Jesus; He never fails." (A Woman's Heart, Beth Moore, p.34). After reading this, I said a prayer to Jesus asking Him to remove my hurts and open my eyes.

Then I glanced outside the window and noticed the sun was quickly setting. I felt an immediate urge to get out into the crisp winter air before it was taken over by darkness. I quickly grabbed my jacket, boots and was about to leash up my dog....when my four-year old came around the corner. "Mommy, are you going for a walk?" I hurriedly mumbled "yes", as I was anxious to get outside. "Can I come with you? Please! I promise I will keep up." My husband tried to convince our son to stay home, but there was no way of bargaining with our little man's pleading. I reluctantly told him to get his jacket and boots on, and together, we went out our front door.

All remnants of annoyance melted away the moment my boots imprinted the snow. It was like I entered another world. Snowflakes were gently falling, their pureness highlighted by the setting sun. My son's little gloved hand grabbed my worn leather glove, and together we walked our path.

We chatted about the snow and I led him to my favourite spot in the woods. We stood there marveling at the hoar-frost covering the trees. My son glanced at me and told me stick out my tongue and try to catch a snowflake. We stood, side by side, with our eyes closed and tongues out...giggling as we tasted God's beauty.

We continued along our path, my son the tour guide telling me which path we should take because he sees the map in his "hair" (read: head). Once we reached the wooden bridge, he told me we should hold hands and skip across it. I can't remember the last time I skipped along, but there we were, mother and child joyfully laughing side by side.

As we neared our house, he told me we were getting close to the treasure. I asked him where the treasure was, and he turned to me with his crimson red cheeks, grinning to show his chiclet teeth, and said "the treasure is HOME!"

I wish I could explain the joy I feel in my heart right now. I am filled with awe and wonder at Jesus's love for me. I am convinced that Jesus heard my prayers and was on that walk with me today showing His love for me through my little boy. I am so thankful my eyes were open to see Him.

Yes, I can count on Jesus. He never fails.
holy experience

1 comment:

  1. What a lovley experience Sherri-Dawn. Thanks for sharing such a fun time :)

    Leah

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

the small print

My Tall Tales blog represents my own opinions and writings, unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you would like to reproduce/distribute any postings by emailing me at sdma(at)telus(dot)net. Linking to my blog is welcome :) ~Sherri-Dawn