You may find it ironic that when my son interrupted me, I was reading an article online about 'the myth of the perfect parent'. Huh.
Just this afternoon, I was reading a book about listening to God. Really listening to God - through dreams, conversations with others, songs...the list is endless. And now I'm thinking, what is God trying to tell me about parenting? At this moment, I view parenting as exhausting, thankless, consuming, emotional, irrational and never-ending. I wonder how God feels about parenting me.
But, somehow, all this frustration is erased the moment I sit beside my babies, long after they've fallen asleep. I become mesmerized by their tiny chests moving to the rhythm of their breath, their long lashes finally resting after a day of sights, and the warmth of their cheeks as I nuzzle in close to whisper I love you's.
And then I know how God feels about parenting me.
Tonight, I pray that I feel him kneeling over me as I sleep - knowing that He's with me for every breath, that His endless vision guides my sight, and that His warm whispers of I love you take away any chill of doubt.
Amen & Amen. Years have passed since mine were young enough to watch them sleep but those moments are poignant and never leave the heart's senses. I know that love and feel it just as if it were this morning. And to think that His love is so much greater and more infinite than even I can imagine for my own children...And He loves ME...with all my mom mistakes, and all my brokenness. I don't understand it, but He loves ME!
ReplyDeleteBe blessed in your journey, my friend.
<><
sheri
(ironically, another "sheri dawn" ;-)
I could have written this!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your honesty.
Are you reading, "Can you Hear me?"
Beautiful post...beautiful reminders...
ReplyDeleteOh, so very precious! We can't even fathom His love, can we? We only think we know love.
ReplyDeleteYour site is lovely.
Thank you for your comments, ladies. I feel so blessed to know others can relate! Yes, Claire, I am reading "Can you hear me". I'm about halfway through...what do you think of it?
ReplyDelete