Thursday, November 19, 2009

A clear need

Dishes are piled up on the counter. Not just dirty dishes from the morning breakfast's whirlwind of Cheerios and Rice Krispies, but 'clean' dishes from the dishwasher that served its strike notice.

My mouth scowls, sending sour words to my self, spewing disdain for another have-to added to my exhaustive list. There's always something to be taken care of. Dishes, crumbs on the floor, mismatched socks on the laundry room floor, dog food kibbles lining the hallway baseboards, children's runny noses, husband's restless sleep...

Most days I take a deep breath and move on. My mind shames my heart into silence by reciting the horrors around the world, even in my own suburban community. Disease, heart-break, bankruptcy, death. Who am I to complain?

I pause from unloading the dishwasher to glance at one of the crusty drinking glasses in my hand. Its purpose of quenching thirst, lost because it was unclean - marked with yesterday's unwanted scraps.

I submerge the glass into the hot soapy water. Carefully running my cloth around the mouth of the cup, reaching to its depth - scrubbing to rid it of the built-up grime.

I have a lot of grime built up in me too. Spots of waste are muddying my vision. I can't see past the disorder, mess and uselessness. I too often forget my purpose.

I am in need of a good cleansing.

I need to lather myself up in His love. I need to exfoliate yesterday's expectations and failures. I need to stop looking at the world through my tainted eyes. Rather, I need to see the world through the window of my soul: open, reflective, and purposeful.

1 comment:

  1. great writing. I have grime building up on me too, sister!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

the small print

My Tall Tales blog represents my own opinions and writings, unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you would like to reproduce/distribute any postings by emailing me at sdma(at)telus(dot)net. Linking to my blog is welcome :) ~Sherri-Dawn