It's a hot September day and my dog and I are walking in the woods. I am listening to the wind gently caress the leaves, and together they sing back rhythmic whooshing sounds, as if God was showing off His love for details, just for me. The mighty poplar trees, grounded by their creeping roots, line my path, allowing me to wind whichever way my dog and I are guided. The autumn sun plays peek-a-boo with me through the lines of the trees, every once and awhile catching my eyes with a surprise blinding. The clinkity-clink of Piper's dog tags set the rhythm of our walk.
Sometimes I pause and press my hand against the worn bark of a tree. Folds and crevices throughout mark the seasons gone by. Its lush green canopy now glowing yellow, thinned by the shifting placement of the sun.
It's only in the midst of the forest that I feel small. No longer am I the one towering above others. I am dwarfed by God's beauty.
But I do not feel insignificant.
Today I feel treasured and known by Him.
I watch a yellow leaf surrender itself to the breeze, curving and inverting during its graceful decent. What beauty God has embedded in a single, fallen leaf! And what beauty God has embedded in each of us. He is just waiting for us to fall into Him - gently, beautifully and fully.
Happy Fall everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment