Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fingerprinted in my heart

My windows are a mess. Really.

Smeared. Dirty. Fingerprinted. Some days I can barely see past my own reflection.

They say the eyes are the windows to the soul. Looking closer, what do my eyes see in this window? I see tiny handprints from my children's play. I see the larger thumbprint of big brother from when he leaned against the window while balancing on the outside rock bed. I see chalked-stained swirls from when brother and sister stood side by side creating their art. I even see marks of Piper's snout as she nudged the window impatiently, wanting to be set free outside to run with the kids in an impromptu game of tag. I see water drip marks from daughter trying her hand at watering the flowers, every once and awhile distracted from the task at hand, allowing the hose its freedom to splash the transparent glass pane.

I see life.

There will be a time when my windows are perfectly clear, when my house is in order, when laundry is all folded and put away. But I am not in a hurry to see that. Instead, I will put away my window cleaners (for now) and join my children in their play. And maybe tomorrow I'll add my thumbprint to the window to prove I was here. In the now.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

the small print

My Tall Tales blog represents my own opinions and writings, unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you would like to reproduce/distribute any postings by emailing me at sdma(at)telus(dot)net. Linking to my blog is welcome :) ~Sherri-Dawn