I had a wonderful experience while on holidays in Saskatchewan. It was late at night and I felt an inner longing to go for walk in the soft rain. Everyone else in the cabin was getting ready for bed when I slipped out. I walked in the rain – no umbrella or jacket wanted – as it was a wonderful soft, summer rain. I walked to the pier at Anglin lake. It was so quiet. The sun was just setting and I could see the last bits of sun following the rims of the dark rain clouds. I stood at the end of the dock, closed my eyes and just listened. I could hear the rain pelting the lake water, the waves lapping the shore and licking over the edge of the dock. But nothing else. No people, no vehicles, no children, no animals…and for a moment, I couldn’t even hear the mosquitoes and flies that swarmed around my face. I was at the Land of the Loon lake resort, standing in the rain, just before dark…and I prayed to You. To be honest, I can’t recall exactly what I said to you – but I remember asking You for a sign, a sign that you could hear me and that you were there. I asked for You to have a loon sing for me. Then I opened my eyes. At that exact moment, I heard the loons. They sang their haunting call for a few moments – and then silence again. I never heard them again that night. I know FOR SURE that you heard me that night. And I feel so blessed.
Monday, August 31, 2009
The call of the loon
I had a wonderful experience while on holidays in Saskatchewan. It was late at night and I felt an inner longing to go for walk in the soft rain. Everyone else in the cabin was getting ready for bed when I slipped out. I walked in the rain – no umbrella or jacket wanted – as it was a wonderful soft, summer rain. I walked to the pier at Anglin lake. It was so quiet. The sun was just setting and I could see the last bits of sun following the rims of the dark rain clouds. I stood at the end of the dock, closed my eyes and just listened. I could hear the rain pelting the lake water, the waves lapping the shore and licking over the edge of the dock. But nothing else. No people, no vehicles, no children, no animals…and for a moment, I couldn’t even hear the mosquitoes and flies that swarmed around my face. I was at the Land of the Loon lake resort, standing in the rain, just before dark…and I prayed to You. To be honest, I can’t recall exactly what I said to you – but I remember asking You for a sign, a sign that you could hear me and that you were there. I asked for You to have a loon sing for me. Then I opened my eyes. At that exact moment, I heard the loons. They sang their haunting call for a few moments – and then silence again. I never heard them again that night. I know FOR SURE that you heard me that night. And I feel so blessed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
the small print
My Tall Tales blog represents my own opinions and writings, unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you would like to reproduce/distribute any postings by emailing me at sdma(at)telus(dot)net. Linking to my blog is welcome :) ~Sherri-Dawn
Hey! I love this blog and reading your writing. Isn't it amazing that God loves enough to show himself in those small, quiet ways. Such an awesome story!
ReplyDeleteThanks Claire ;)
ReplyDelete