I can't even put into words the heaviness that has just been weighted on my heart. I just finished reading a blog written by a girl about my age who has four kids and just lost her husband of ten years. (http://sixbendersandadog.blogspot.com/) She is still a young girl...and now she has lost her best friend.
I can't even imagine.
I don't want to imagine.
But I still feel, even though I don't know her. God created us in order to form a relationship with Him. And through that relationship with Him, we become intertwined with all his children - whether we know their names or not.
And I have had a taste of my Godly sister's grief. Empathizing with someone who has lost their husband catapults my complacent heart to lurch for the one I love. So many things I take for granted that he does, and is, to my life. Random things like shoveling the driveway, putting away the patio furniture for the winter, paying the bills, washing the crusty dishes and killing spiders for his wimpy wife. Hugs that envelope me after a long day with the kids, kisses on the top of my head as he cradles me under his chin. The smell of his neck when I nuzzle in close, his strong hands when he massages my back.
These simple things that mark my heart and tell me that I am his, and he is mine. Thank God for my husband and that I get to hold him again today - because really - that's all we ever have.
amen sister.
ReplyDelete