My little man pleads these words out of his pursed lips as the tips of his toes balance him on his shiny red BMX bike. The wobbly movements on the steel frame match the wobbly knees of a boy who is breaking free of training wheels, ready to blaze his own path on his own terms. I grip the back of his shirt in my fist, holding tight to the little boy I used to hold tight to my chest.
He's ready now. He scoots forward with his toes tapping the black asphalt, one leg hesitantly lifting, searching for the black pedal while his body leans left, then right....I hold on....
His other foot now finds the back pedal and he balances strong, propelling himself forward...he gains speed, confidence....and I let go...
My vision is blurred with tears as I shout "you're doing it baby!! You're doing it!!" He rides down the street, while his daddy, sister and mommy shriek in pure delight. Praise to a boy who overcame his fear of falling, praise to a boy who pushes his limits and praise to a boy who fills my heart with so much joy.
There have been many boundaries pushed, expanded and redrawn this week for my little six-year old.
A new big-boy room where hockey heros replaced somersaulting bunnies and a giant tree. The yellow bus now carries my boy to his full day adventures in Grade One, and I get to relive his day as he recounts the recess games, music class musical chairs and colouring projects. I get lost in his story-telling, loving the way his th's sound like zaaa's and the way his big gap-toothed smile melts my heart.
I want to take it all in and remember these details forever.
"Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart" Luke 2:19, NIVToday I ponder my treasure that has been gifted to me by God...
1301. Mama learning to let go, and boy who can now fly on his bike.
1302. Handy husband who created a hanging bed for our boy's room.
1303. Boy who delights in using his money to buy candy from the store, and shares his bounty with everyone (including the neighbours)
1304. Grandparents who create magic in a bike ride.
1305. Daughter who always puts her underwear on inside out.
1306. Husband who has life in his eyes.
1307. Floating down the river with my boy and his uncles.
1308. Winding our way through a cornmaze.
1309. Daughter who always gives me morning cuddles.
1310. Beautiful last days of summer.
1311. Healthy kids who love to laugh.
1312. Grape hubba-bubba and blowing giant bubbles.
1313. New classroom and his very own desk.
1314. Chocolate ice-cream covered faces.

1315. Outdoor movie nights with friends.
1316. Husband's gift of balancing our finances.
1317. Uncle who is under doctor's watch.
1318. New clothes for school.
1319. Travel plans for me and husband.
1320. For this day.
Join me in counting your blessings?





loved this! So many firsts to celebrate with your wonderful boy! teared me up. love ya friend.
ReplyDelete