Wednesday, August 18, 2010

simply waiting

Lately I have been thinking a lot about the simple life. I wonder if things have become too fast, too easy, too instant. 

Grandpa turns 91 next month. So much has changed over his lifetime.  

Have things become easier? Or, have we too easily let things become us? 

There was a lot of waiting in times past. Waiting, in turn, birthed time for rest.

Now, my efficiencies have eroded the delicate balance between work and play. More technology screams for more attention. Hours burn quickly under the heat of the now.

Waiting - like clothes drying under the hot summer sun - is a lost art.

I often forget why I am rushing in the first place. It is like the beating of my very heart is tied to Father Time's own wrist. Tick. Tock. Invisible handcuffs that hold me down.

I long to be released from time's merciless hold.

My eyes set on Grandpa's quiet hands. His hands are etched with lines of his own battles with time.

I think he has drawn them quite well. 
Rather than clutching to do lists and to gain lists, his hands are rested in prayer. Words of thanks and praise delivered simply from his lips, heart, and hands.

These lessons, that come from God's own hands, are the ones I want to pass onto my children:  patience, tenderness, rest.

I prayerfully wait, watch and listen for the lessons.
"May the favour of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us— yes, establish the work of our hands." Psalm 90:17

Photos: clothesline hung at the Young farm, barbed wire lost in time, Grandpa's resting hands, my son resting his hand in his great-grandfather's palm. 

Freeze-Framing Life over @ Claire B



9 comments:

  1. this post reminds me of cs lewis's thoughts that as beings meant for an eternal existence, we're like fish out of water.. that is, we only know of time b/cs we were meant to be beyond it. the fish only knows when hes out of water how badly he needs ot be in it.
    i love, too, your grandpa's older age and wise self and his prayered hands, the lack of rushrushrush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Have things become easier? Or, have we too easily let things become us?" Thought provoking and beautiful! We have so much to learn from the wisdom of the elderly. Thank you for sharing your grandfather's lessons with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw! I am off the computer for the rest of the day.. and I will sit and wait.

    I will wait for school to start tomorrow, and for the dinner to cook, and the children to help...instead of filling the waiting time. Thank you for your kind words that opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies, for your warm comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks. this is such my hearts longing. a slow and simple life of love. thanks for the reminder to hang my clothes on the line :) they are waiting in the washing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, yes and yes again.

    waiting under the sun...

    can i wait with you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I know I will need the reminder to wait...patience is NOT my strength ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the hands... they are wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful Sherri-Dawn - this is something we have strived to do since Liam has been born - a slower, simpler, love filled life with lots of time to commune with God - one of the reasons we are homeschooling actually!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

the small print

My Tall Tales blog represents my own opinions and writings, unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you would like to reproduce/distribute any postings by emailing me at sdma(at)telus(dot)net. Linking to my blog is welcome :) ~Sherri-Dawn