As I filled up the water bottle, I was transported back to the girl I used to be. Layers of lessons and experience were peeled back to reveal a girl who longed for a place to belong. A big smile on the outside was all I could do to convince others that I was content - but it didn't work. My walk was set to shoulders curved inward, my shyness directed my eyes downwards, my clothes hung loosely on my awkward frame and my words were mumbled so as not to stand out. I had just started dating the only boy who had ever called me his. My days were spent attending classes that I had no idea where they led (I hadn't figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up), and my evenings were filled with basketball drills, running shoes and blue and white coloured jerseys and following other's directions. I was unknown - especially to myself.
When I came back to my seat, I told my husband (the boy who loved that girl all those years ago) that I ran into our old friends. He said he saw them too. Later that night I asked my husband if he thought I was different from those first years of college. He leaned over and told me that I have changed.
He said I have grown into myself.
I pulled out an old picture of me.
And I see it. I have changed. I no longer search for my place, or wonder about my worth. The experience of the past seventeen years has evolved that awkward eighteen-year-old girl into the God-loving woman I am today. I now know that I serve a purpose and that I am part of a greater plan that I have a role in. No imitations or impersonations - God loves me - despite my faults, weaknesses and mistakes. I've grown to love me too.
This post was inspired by Emily.


oh friend, this is so beautiful. i love how he told you you've changed, you've grown into yourself. isn't it wonderful to have someone who's known you all these years, who can affirm you and love you, the same in spite of the changes? bless you.
ReplyDelete"I have grown into myself."
ReplyDeleteI like that. I wonder if we are open to it, if we aren't always growing into deeper and deeper layers of ourself - peeling back the layers until we become the gift to the world that God meant for us to be. Thanks for linking.
love that! resonates in my life too. beautiful! thanks for sharing. i've been looking at old photos this week, and it's quite enlightening :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, friends.
ReplyDelete