Today I did the oddest thing.
I made muffins. Real muffins.
Not the cheat-add-water-to-mix kind of muffins (like I always do), but real blueberry and lemon muffins. All I really wanted to do was shed my workclothes and slip into my comfy sweats and college t-shirt. But instead, the kitchen suffered blows of flour and blueberry-stained floors while my kids helped measure, mix and pour the homemade goodness.
![]() |
| (Do you think Martha's kitchen ever looked like this?) |
Maybe this is the part I should mention that I am so tired that it looks like my mascara ran under my eyes. Big pockets of sleep deprivation announce to anyone who glances my way that I'm on the losing end of of back-to-school morning routines.
I now have two babies (as they will always be known by me) who are in school. My boy is a confident Grade Two student and my baby (last one!) girl has now entered the kinder-years. She is beyond excited to take the bus with her big brother next week, and she loved going to "his school" this week for her orientation class.
As I fold little notes into my son's lunch kit for tomorrow's adventures, I glance around our home. So much has changed. Knicknacks have been given away, clothes folded and bagged and toys have been seriously culled as part of my quest for simplifying my life and our home.
Our family has entered a new stage. Family excursions are less about baby wipes and goldfish and more about backpacks and after-school snacks.
In many ways it's exciting.
We had an incredible summer filled with adventures that we couldn't have possibly experienced while we were in the toddler and baby stage.
We are enjoying the intelligent, inquisitive questions that our son asks us, and are no longer surprised when he stumps us.
Our daughter can now ride her bike without training wheels, and for the first time, we are all able to go bike riding together at a fun pace.
I catch myself standing outside the kids' rooms listening to their chatter. They are friends and really enjoy each others' company. Negotiations, inside jokes and fantasy play are all part of their conversations. I am really starting to see and appreciate my childrens' unique personalities. And they shine.Of course, I still have pangs of time moving way too fast. But for now, I am taking the time to enjoy the moments.
Because if there is one thing I know for sure - all I really have is this moment....and fresh baked muffins.


Sounds like you are loving all the perks of this stage! Many great milestones!
ReplyDelete