Sunday, March 20, 2011

sacrificial doubt

I remember growing up in the Catholic church and I would dread the beginning of Lent because it meant I had to give up something I really loved (at least that was my interpretation of it at the time). Many times I "fasted" from chocolate, all the while making sure all my friends and family knew it whenever the creamy, cocoa-laden, melt-in-my-mouth heaven-here-on-earth delicacy was served.  This went on for years, decades.

This year, Lent carries a whole new meaning of sacrifice for me. Old routines, comforts and securities have been made nearly unrecognizable, somedays reduced to a quivering mirage in the desert. Emotions of guilt, anger and loneliness burn white-hot at the centre of my soul. 

Doubt permeates my every thought, spreading cancerous half-truths to my parched, grumbling, weak centre of self.  And it is here - in this foresaken pit - that I finally understand what Lent really is about. 

I believe Lent is a time for me to be broken...to be lost and insecure and without any control. Because it is only when I am stripped of my worldly-born beliefs that I can fully be restored in the belief of the heavenly sent - My Saviour. 

This is when faith walks out of the fires of doubt...refined, reenergized and ready.

With faith, I am capable of letting go of doubt and its beastly minions. Each moment - and I must live moment to moment - carries the promise of faith. The cost of faith is to lay down my doubts and sacrifice my need for control. 

I look to Him to show me the way out of this desert...through faith and sacrifice...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

the small print

My Tall Tales blog represents my own opinions and writings, unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you would like to reproduce/distribute any postings by emailing me at sdma(at)telus(dot)net. Linking to my blog is welcome :) ~Sherri-Dawn